Connecting Patents and Technology Assets to Financial Performance
Patents and technology assets are often key drivers of financial performance for both patent owners and licensees. The value of a patent, patent portfolio or technology assets depends on context, use and the definition of value.
Nevium’s specialization in patent valuation is quantification of the contribution to financial performance made by a company’s patents. In other words, a patent’s worth is determined by calculating the present value of future economic benefits driven by the patent. To quantify the financial contribution made by patents, Nevium will investigate how the patent has contributed to increased sales volume, price premiums and cost savings.
Patent Valuation and Advisory Services from Nevium
Nevium uses industry recognized methods to provide defensible and accurate patent valuations. Our focus is how patent assets impact financial performance. During our analysis we determine the interaction between patented technologies, patent portfolios, proprietary technologies, and the company’s other intellectual properties and intangible assets and identify how each group of assets is contributing to revenues, expenses, earnings and cash flow.
We work with management to identify strategies to increase the value of individual technology assets and the overall value of the business. Our valuation reports are intended for use as tool to increase profits. Our goal is to enable our clients to leverage their patents and proprietary technology assets and improve financial performance by:
- selling additional products;
- selling products at a higher price;
- avoiding costs and expenses; or
- developing licensing opportunities.
Nevium’s Technology and Patent Valuation Experience
Nevium has provided patent and technology asset valuations for:
- Business and asset transaction due diligence;
- Evaluation of licensing opportunities;
- Transferring technology assets between business units;
- Comparing and developing pricing strategies;
- Evaluating R&D ROI (return on investment);
- Support new capital and financing and use of patents as collateral for lenders; and
- Financial reporting, litigation and taxation.
Nevium’s Past Patent Valuation Projects Include:
- Valuation of patent portfolio and technology assets for management of a company evaluating an acquisition offer (Case Study);
- Sale of patent assets held by a private equity group and valuation of patents to be used as security to raise new capital;
- Valuation of patents and proprietary technologies for inter-company transfers; and
- Valuation of patents for litigation and estate planning.